Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Consciousness of Consciousness

I wouldn’t be able to see the chair unless I was conscious that I was seeing the chair. There cannot be any perception without consciousness. I am conscious of the chair in front of me, but am I conscious that I am conscious of the chair in front of me? Do I have consciousness of the consciousness of the chair? Can I experience consciousness itself?
As Pañcadaśī makes it clear, while the objects of my consciousness can be many and different, consciousness (saṁvit) itself is always one and the same.
To maintain the awareness of that one, unchanging consciousness as we go about our day’s chores is a beneficial practice. Difficult? Yes, but nevertheless the struggle to maintain that awareness is itself filled with great joy and inner calm.
The struggle, powered by purity, patience and perseverance, will one day lead to a spontaneous, free, effortless dwelling in that awareness, where time and space dare not enter.